Learn how to place Letterhead promotions in your newsletter created through Authoring
If you are using Authoring and Letterhead Promotions, our tool for managing newsletter ad sales, you can easily find and manually insert promotion placeholders from the Authoring editor, or you can set promotions to be automatically inserted into the newsletter when you choose a date to send.
Manually insert promotion placeholders
To manually insert promotion placeholders in your newsletter, go to Settings -> Sending emails, under Promotion placement set Manually insert promotions to On, then save your settings.
If your promotions always appear in the same sections of your newsletter, create a newsletter template and use promotion placeholders to include all the promotion types you offer for sale in the areas where you want them to display, to do that:
- Create a new newsletter edition.
- Use your cursor to click where you want your promotion type to display in your newsletter.
- Click on the Plus sign , then click on Promotion placeholder.
- The window that opens displays all the promotion types that you have in your Letterhead account.
- Click to place the type that you want; for example, if you sell a promotion type called Title that goes at the top of the newsletter, add a Title promotion placeholder in the top section of your newsletter.
- Repeat this process for all the promotion types that you have available for sale.
Example of a newsletter template with a Top Banner and a Middle Banner promotion type placeholders:
- When you're done with your template, click on Preview -> Convert to template.
- When you're ready to write your content, go to Authoring -> Templates and click Duplicate next to your template to be taken to the editor.
- When you're ready to send your newsletter, go to Preview -> Preview and schedule, make sure Include promotions is On, Choose a date and time to send your newsletter to view how many promotions are scheduled on your chosen date:
- If you added promotion placeholders for all the promotion types you use in your newsletter, you should see a green confirmation message like the one above; if you forgot to include a promotion placeholder for a promotion type that is scheduled on your chosen date, you should see a warning message with the details of which promotion type placeholders are missing in your edition:
- You can't continue if the promotion placeholders of the types scheduled on your chosen date are not included in the newsletter.
- Once all promotion placeholders are included in the newsletter, click on Preview and proofread to view the promotions, send a test email, and schedule your newsletter.
Automatically insert promotions in the newsletter
To set scheduled promotions to be automatically inserted into your newsletter, go to Settings -> Sending emails, under Promotion placement set Manually insert promotions to Off, then save your settings. When choosing automatically promotion insertion, you can also set your promotions to appear only before headings, that way you don't risk having them show up in the middle of a paragraph, if that's not what you want.
How to set where my promotions appear when they're being automatically inserted?
Promotions that are automatically inserted into the newsletter have a position property that is a percentage, by default all promotions types have their position set to 0%, meaning they appear at the 0% mark of the newsletter — the very top of the newsletter above any other element. In order to set different position percentages for each one of your promotion types, please contact our support team.
If your newsletter layout changes all the time and you want to have more flexibility when deciding where to insert promotions in your newsletter, we don't recommend automatic promotion insertion because you have to define a position percentage that you cannot easily change, instead change your settings to manually insert promotions as explained above.